Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Girls night

I remember when a girls night was dinner or drinks with friends after work or on the weekend. Since I became a mom of two, the meaning of the phrase has changed dramatically. Once a week, my hubby attends a group meeting for a local organization, so that leaves me home alone with the kids until bedtime.

My oldest and I have been used to this schedule, but this year we've thrown a new baby into the equation. Man, those first few weeks were nerve-wracking. Now, I've got to say that I actually enjoy our `girls nights' together. My oldest is old enough to help with the baby while I cook. And the baby adores her big sister. I usually make the same meal every `girls night' too, and I think that's a comfort to my oldest. We sit at the table, eat and talk.

I can't tell you that every conversation we have is deep and profound, but I know that the time we have together is meaningful to all of us - baby, included. And when girls night is over with, there's nothing more enjoyable than peaking in on my girls sleeping and feel grateful for the gifts they've brought to my life.

No comments: